Working from home, once a luxury afforded only to a privileged few, is growing. Thanks to its numerous benefits, many organizations from various industries are jumping on the telecommuting bandwagon. A recent online poll conducted by Logitech Malaysia, a world leader in products that connect people to the digital experiences they care about, revealed that Malaysians are also no longer confined to the traditional boundaries of the office. Although working from home has its advantages, it can be equally if not, more stressful than working in an office. This is because workers who manage their workload from home may find it challenging to switch between their work and family life.
While it can be difficult juggling home life with work responsibilities, here are some tips to work more effectively from home.
- Keeping to a regular work routine – One of the perks of working from home is that you are not tied to the regular 9-to-6 working hour. While it’s tempting to give yourself complete flexibility over when to start and end work, keeping yourself to a regular work routine helps to ensure your tasks are completed in a timely manner. Additionally, establishing your working hours helps keep you accountable to deadlines set internally and externally, as well as to your colleagues which in turn, helps to boost overall efficiency.
- Planning your workload – Proper planning is also key to increasing productivity while working from home. A great tip here is to understand and know your priorities before beginning a task. Prioritizing your workload and working out how much time you will need to complete each assignment will give you a better idea of how much time is needed for that particular day. Having an established planner can keep you from feeling overwhelmed and stressed. Some find it especially usefully to take some time the night before and plan for the day ahead.
- Give yourself a break – Another way to be more dexterous while working from home is remembering to take breaks. Even with working from home, taking breaks can be overlooked especially as the anxiety of meeting tight deadlines loom over you. However, it is important to take a breather once in a while. Taking regular breaks also allows you to regroup your thoughts which in turn, enables you to think clearly and work more competently.
- Keep your workspace clean and clutter free – Even though its tempting to work from the comfort of your couch or in front of the television, this could take a toll on your work efficacy. Having a consistent and designated work station helps to inform the brain that its time to work. Once you’ve chosen your work area, its important to keep it clean and organized. An unkempt and messy work space will not only increase stress levels, it will also make it hard to find needed items. Additionally, having a tidy atmosphere limits distraction and keeps you focused.
- Having the proper tools – In setting up a home office, it is important to have the proper tools and instruments that will help you work more proficiently. Logitech has created a range of products that will help boost your productivity. The durable and spill-resistant design of the Logitech MK235 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse combo as well as its long battery life, means you are able to work and create content from anywhere, at any time. The Logitech M337 Bluetooth mouse on the other hand, gives you freedom to work anytime and anywhere, while connecting to virtually any Bluetooth wireless device of your choice. For those working with multiple devices on the go, the Logitech K480 is the perfect tool for your multi-tasking needs as it connects to up to three devices simultaneously, while the Logitech CREATE and its Smart Connector function means there is no need for Bluetooth pairing or charging. Just set your iPad Pro into a typing position and you’re good to go!
While stress and anxiety of a job can be overwhelming regardless if you work from home or in an office, implementing a few minor adjustments to your working habit and a little planning can go a long way to keep you from feeling inundated and discouraged. What’s more, with the right tools, you’ll be able to work more resourcefully and increase your overall work output.